Sealcoating involves applying a liquid sealant to asphalt surfaces to protect them from UV rays, harsh weather conditions and relentless road traffic. Parking lots, roads and driveways with a sealcoat last longer and look better than surfaces without it. Advances in asphalt sealcoating make it quicker to apply and cost less than you would expect for the long-term benefits. Here are five technological advances in the development of asphalt sealcoating in Phoenix, AZ:
- Fix smaller cracks: If you catch asphalt cracks early, you will not have to put repair costs on top of sealcoating. Today’s sealcoating products can fill cracks that are no wider than ⅛ of an inch. If you see cracks and have a sealcoating appointment coming up, let it do its magic, and do not worry about setting a separate repair appointment. If cracks are larger than ⅛ of an inch, fill them with a rubberized crack sealer. The sealcoat will cover the cracks over like they never occurred.
- Anti-slip surfaces: Medical buildings, nursing homes and other facilities that cater to mobility-limited patrons request anti-slip surfaces. Parking garage managers also make this request because constant traffic eventually makes asphalt slick. Fortunately, today’s sealcoats only need one adjustment to create an anti-slip surface. Just add sand to sealcoating materials and spray it on. The results include fewer injuries and accidents, which helps any business maintain a good reputation!
- Improved worker safety: The traditional sealcoat material is coal tar, which requires extra protection during application. According to the National Toxicology Program, it’s a human carcinogen, although OSHA has not made the same declaration. However, better application methods continue to develop. Asphalt emulsion is gaining popularity, as it presents fewer health risks. Newer acrylic sealers offer better safety.
- Better longevity: Sealcoating used to add five years to the life of a road or lot. Now, depending on materials, that lifespan increases to up to 15 years. Even better, sealcoats do not require as many layers or complex applications to create these results. This development makes sealcoating easier to schedule, and you will not suffer sticker shock. Many customers report that the cost of sealcoating was much lower than they expected!
- New options for different environments: Refined coal tar remains the most widely used sealer. It is environmentally resilient and offers excellent water protection, but its toxic properties cause concern. One option is an asphalt emulsion, which is less toxic and resistant to chemical and oil spills. You may prefer this one if you run an automobile-based business. Petroleum-based sealcoats offer all the advantages of asphalt emulsion and coal tar, but fall short on efficacy. For high-traffic areas, consider quick dry. Once applied, it’s ready for foot traffic within one hour, and cars within one day. Standard cure and drying times are usually 48 hours.
Sunstar Seal Coating, Inc. takes advantage of the advances in asphalt sealcoating in Phoenix, AZ so you can enjoy all the benefits of this process. Contact us today to request an estimate. We look forward to assisting you soon.
Categorised in: Sealcoating
This post was written by Writer