Sealcoating your asphalt is one of the best types of preventative maintenance you can perform for your driveway or parking lot, so long as you do the job properly. You must thoroughly prepare the asphalt surface, including cleaning the surface and filling cracks and holes, before you begin the sealcoating process.
It’s important to note that while sealcoating is a critical aspect of asphalt maintenance, it is not magic—there are limitations to what sealcoating can do for your driveway, so it’s important to understand the benefits of sealcoating in Phoenix, AZ, how it can help and when it might not be so useful.
Here’s an overview of the benefits of sealcoating and some of its limitations:
- Protection from elements and substances: Most types of sealcoating will be effective at protecting your asphalt from oil and gas spillage, deicing chemicals and oxidation from the sun. Sealcoating also helps to waterproof the surface.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Sealcoating helps to create a much more attractive surface, providing a nice, even color and appearance across the surface after application and curing.
- Melting: When applied, sealcoating helps to melt snow and ice faster, thanks to its waterproof nature and its protection against deicing chemicals. Plus, the deep black color of the sealcoating retains heat from the sun, which further encourages melting.
- Extend the life of the pavement: When applied within 12 to 18 months after asphalt installation and every several years after (and done according to manufacturer’s specifications), sealcoating can extend the life of an asphalt surface by up to 20 years on average. Again, this assumes you are taking other necessary steps to properly maintain your asphalt surface.
These are the benefits of sealcoating, but again, there are some limitations to what sealcoating your asphalt can do for your surface. Here’s a quick overview:
- Leveling: Sealcoating cannot fix any level or low spots. You’ll need to properly bring the asphalt to grade before performing any sealcoating work.
- Protecting poorly maintained surfaces: If you’ve been neglectful in maintaining your asphalt, sealcoating will only do so much to add extra protection. It might only add a few years of life for asphalt that’s already deteriorated due to poor maintenance. Sealcoating will provide no structural value for a parking lot that’s been neglected for years, and will only result in some minor cosmetic improvements, and even then, the aesthetic value will be limited due to the likely presence of significant cracking.
- Coats: Even if a product says it’s a one-coat sealant, you should strongly consider using two coats for better protection. In fact, most manufacturers of high-quality products will recommend that you use two coats. Be suspicious of a contractor you hire who claims they can do the job properly with a single coat of sealant.
To learn more about how sealcoating helps your driveway in Phoenix, AZ, we encourage you to contact the team at Sunstar Seal Coating, Inc. with any questions you have for us about the asphalt services we provide. We look forward to hearing from you!
Categorised in: Sealcoating
This post was written by Writer